Today’s show is all about mindful eating.
Now before I go further I want to assure you that I’m not going to be telling you what to eat, whether a food is good or bad or that you should change anything that you are doing.
There is a lot of harmful talk around food and that the point of eating is to do it in a way that makes or keeps you skinny.
This is a damaging perspective and one that I do kind of bash a bit.
What you will hear about during this episode is:
- Why eating slowly can help you feel good about any food choice you make.
- How to eat mindfully, which has nothing to do with restricting or taking away the foods you enjoy.
- Why eating slowly supports your body and mindful eating..
- Questions you can ask yourself to help you connect with your body when you eat.
Mindful eating may sound like a bit of a woowoo topic but it is actually a really smart way to approach eating.
Why? Because it allows you complete freedom to eat what you want BUT, gets you to really check in with yourself and ask yourself:
- How your food is making you feel,
- What you are thinking while you’re eating,
- Are you enjoying the foods you eat and
- How do you want to feel after eating.
3 ways to practice mindful eating
- The simplest way to get into this practice is by eating slowly.
This allows you plenty of time to really experience the foods your eating.
- Matching the pace of a slow eater around you is a simple way to begin.
- You could also set yourself a little timer and work towards slowing your eating down to fit within a time.
If you want to try this, start by setting yourself a 15 minute challenge and see how you go eating a meal that slowly.
I’d love to hear how you go if you try this one out. Share your mindful eating experience in the comments section below.